Subject: Object references, new issue to consider in the post 1.0 effort...

Title: Message
One issue I would like to address in the post 1.0 SPML effort is the issue of explicit object references. One good example of this is to modify an existing account object to specify group or role membership. With the 1.0 spec this can be done, but specifying the the groups or roles would be done in an implementation specific manner.

What I would like would be for SPML to be able to support the following scenario:

1) create a group object "group1"
2) create a user object "user1"
3) set the "memberof" attribute on "user1" to the reference to "group1"

What I would like to is to use the SPML Identifier for "group1" as the value for the modification in step 3, rather than some implementation dependent value, such as an LDAP DN. This would require a change to the current SPML 1.0 spec.

Again, this is a post 1.0 issue.

I will add this to the issues list.

Jeff Bohren
Product Architect