Subject: RE: [provision] Discussion and analysis of SPML 2.0 submission from IBM

Jeff,
I have to admit that I only glanced at your submission, assuming it was the
same approach you had propsed on the list some time ago.  Looking at it
now, it does indeed offer a lot of benefits over SPML 1.0.  It appears to
be incomplete though and I'd like to see a more thorough example if you
have one.  For example, I'd like to see how something like the Liberty
profile schema is imported, more information on the "name" attribute in
your search request would be useful ("CommonName\cn" looks strange to me).
I'm also not sure that I understand the object reference example.  It would
be useful to see the modified SPML core schema for this so that I can
understand exactly how it would work.

Of course, I still have an issue with the SPML-specific schema language.
You know my complaints:
- The language is incompatible with Web Services tools, or XML tools for
that matter - XML Spy won't generate a sample SPML document for you as an
example, off-the-shelf schema compilers such as Castor won't recognize it.
- The approach flies in the face of accepted Web Services practices and the
use of SPML schema essentially gets in the way of the XML Schema.  If a
user is to describe their data in XML Schema, what's the point of SPML
schema?
- The identifier mechanisms are clumsy and is much better handled using
standard XML namespaces and URIs.
- The schema language is still directory-oriented and is not an XML schema
language.  This is true also of DSMLv1 of course but it introduces
difficulties when dealing with XML.  For example, in your object reference
example (and as I said I may not understand this properly), you define:
    <attributeDefinition name="role"
type="urn:oasis:names:tc:SPML:1:1#Identifier"/>
   <objectClassDefinition name = "role">
    <memberAttributes>
      <attributeDefinitionReference name = "cn" required = "true" />
      <attributeDefinitionReference name = "description" />
      <attributeDefinitionReference name = "password" />
    </memberAttributes>
  </objectClassDefinition>

The problem here of course is that the "type" of the role attribute is not
a role but an "identifier".  This is handled much better in XML schema
languages that have strong typing and relate closely to their resultant XML
representation.

If backward compatibility is an issue, and I'm not sure how much of a
problem it could be at this point, then consider that the WS-Provisioning
proposal can easily transport SPML 1.0 schema and data.  To me, this
approach offers a number of benefits including the tool compatibility and
Web Services emphasis that SPML lacks.  As an example of how an SPML1.0
schema might be expressed in WS-Provisioning:

   <wsp:ProvisioningTarget
xmlns:wsp="urn:ibm:names:ws:provisioning:0.1:core">
      <wsp:identifier name="xyz123"/>
         <wsp:schema>
            <spml:schema xmlns:spml="urn:oasis:names:tc:SPML:1:0"
xmlns:dsml="urn:oasis:names:tc:DSML:2:0:core">
               <spml:providerIdentifier providerIDType =
"urn:oasis:names:tc:SPML:1:0#URN">

<spml:providerID>urn:oasis:names:tc:SPML</spml:providerID>
               </spml:providerIdentifier>
               <spml:schemaIdentifier schemaIDType =
"urn:oasis:names:tc:SPML:1:0#GenericString">
                  <spml:schemaID>standard</spml:schemaID>
               </spml:schemaIdentifier>
               <spml:attributeDefinition name="objectclass"/>
               <spml:attributeDefinition name="cn"/>
               <spml:attributeDefinition name="uid"/>
               <spml:objectClassDefinition name="person">
                   <spml:memberAttributes>
                      <spml:attributeDefinitionReference name="objectclass"
required="true"/>
                      <spml:attributeDefinitionReference name="cn"
required="true"/>
                      <spml:attributeDefinitionReference name="uid"/>
                   </spml:memberAttributes>
               </spml:objectClassDefinition>
            </spml:schema>
     </wsp:schema>
    </wsp:ProvisioningTarget>

If the SPML 1.0 had many compelling features that we could not afford to
lose then tacking on support for XML Schema and XML data would be a
worthwhile exercise.  However, this is not really the case and the
retrofitting is going to result in a cumbersome specification that will be
difficult to understand and implement.
Gerry

|         |           "Jeff Bohren"    |
|         |           <jbohren@opennetw|
|         |           ork.com>         |
|         |           12/02/2003 07:27 |
  |       To:       <provision@lists.oasis-open.org>                                                                             |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                    |
  |       Subject:  RE: [provision] Discussion and analysis of SPML 2.0 submission from IBM                                      |

Gerry,

I have already proposed an enhancment to SPML to allow for arbitrary XML
to be used as provisioning data (see the OpenNetwork proposal for more
details). This requires no encodings or transformations and allows XSD
to be used to define the structure of the XML data. This also has the
advantage of being fully backwards compatible with SPML 1.0.

Why does this not meet your requirements for the transport of XML data?

Jeff Bohren
Product Architect
OpenNetwork Technologies, Inc

Try the industry's only 100% .NET-enabled identity management software.
Download your free copy of Universal IdP Standard Edition today. Go to
www.opennetwork.com/eval.