Subject: RE: [provision] Discussion and analysis of SPML 2.0 submission from IBM

Gerry,

I agree that we should be willing to consider all options for SPML 2.0. I would be willing to consider just about anything including a total rewrite if that is what is required to meet the requirements for 2.0. But I am not going to support a total rewrite if the requirements can be met with an approach that is backwards comatible with the current spec. Of course we have not finalized the requirements so that decision can not be made yet.

At highest level the SPML 1.0 spec is based around the concept that the provisioning data is represented as a collection of attribute/values rather than arbitrary XML. This is the approach taken by SAML as well as SPML. It is also the approach taken by many of the currently provisioning products in the market place. Many workflow, EAI, and BPA products use this approach as well. And of course it is also how all directory, meta-directory, and virtual-directory products work. Given that, I don't think it is reasonable to characterize that approach as "crippled" or "worthless".

My suggested compromise for SPML 2.0 is that the provisioning data be represented as a collection of attribute/values plus arbitrary XML where appropriate. Under this approach provisioning target developers are free to use as much as needed from either model. People who already have provisioning targets (as we do) don't have to be impacted. This approach is not perfect, as compromises seldom are.

I have a hard time believing that not being able to represent provision schema solely through XSD means that the spec has to be rewritten. It seems that there should be a compromise somewhere in between. If not the one I am suggesting, then perhaps another one.

Jeff Bohren
OpenNetwork Technologies

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Gearard Woods [mailto:gewoods@us.ibm.com]
	Sent: Tue 12/2/2003 6:21 PM
	To: Jeff Bohren
	Cc: provision@lists.oasis-open.org

	Jeff,
	You know the history of this debate as well as I do, including the rush to
	demo at Catalyst in the face of the strenuous objections of both ourselves
	and Microsoft.  Now you are using exactly the same arguments as you used
	then.  We have committed to try to work with the committee as part of the
	SPML 2.0 effort but if we are not to debate the merits of different
	approaches now then there is no debate.  I'd like to point out too that a
	radical departure from an earlier approach is not unprecedented - an
	example close to your heart would be the fact that DSMLv2 is obviously a
	far cry from DSMLv1.

	I'm not saying that WS-Provisioning does not require that a client retrieve
	the schema.  What I'm saying is that it doesn't get in the way by imposing
	a proprietary schema language.  If you are using XML Schema then you get
	XML Schema, not XML Schema shoehorned into another schema language.

	In terms of the respect that SPML 1.0 deserves, in my book that's something
	that results from being tested and implemented and found to be thorough,
	robust and appropriate.  As you know we will not be implementing it.  In
	terms of the utility that it represents, in any large scale application,
	which the interop demo was not, the limitations of the spec are crippling.
	It's encouraging to see that you recognize that there is merely "some"
	level of interoparability because to claim interoperability for a demo in a
	highly controlled environment with 10 simple attributes would be
	overstating the case.

	If the committee is to try to build a provisioning standard rather than
	another directory protocol, then it should not be built on the SPML 1.0
	schema language, simple as that.  If you are prepared to commit
	wholeheartedly to the use of XML Schema then let's dispense with the SPML
	schema language altogether.  Sure, make it backward compatible but with
	SPML 2.0 as a superset, not as a dependant specification.
	Gerry

	|         |           "Jeff Bohren"    |
	|         |           <jbohren@opennetw|
	|         |           ork.com>         |
	|         |           12/02/2003 12:30 |
	  |       To:       <provision@lists.oasis-open.org>                                                                             |
	  |       cc:                                                                                                                    |
	  |       Subject:  RE: [provision] Discussion and analysis of SPML 2.0 submission from IBM                                      |

	Gerry,

	I will try to flesh out the examples more in the next iteration of the
	OpenNetwork proposal. I should hopefully have that done soon.

	I agree with you about the SPML Identifier. In retrospect a pure urn
	based approach would have served better. I would like to make that
	change in SPML 2.0 so as to allow for either the current identifier
	approach or a URN approach.

	You seem to be implying that in WS-Provisioning an XSD based tool could
	somehow use the provisioning target schema definition to do something
	useful. The WS-Provisioning approach requires that the client queries
	the service to get the provisioning schema, and parses the result. For
	instance if you wanted to automatically generate client code then you
	would have to create a WS-Provisioning specific tool to do it. This is
	true with both proposals.

	Now whether SPML 1.0 had compelling features that make it worth being
	backwards compatible with is certainly a matter of opinion.  From our
	standpoint it is compelling for many reasons, not the least of which is
	the fact that it is part of our currently shipping product. I suspect
	that is the case with some other TC members. From a OASIS TC standpoint
	it is compelling in that there is a published spec, and we should
	respect it as much as possible. Additionally the spec has been
	demonstrated to have some level of interoperability.

	This should not be a debate about which approach is superior. I would
	have had no problem with using any number of different approaches, had
	they been put forth earlier in the process. The question should be what
	is going to move the industry forward to adopting a provisioning
	standard. I can't see how issuing a completely different spec is going
	to accomplish that. If the SPML 2.0 spec is a complete rewrite of the
	1.0 spec, why would anyone adopt it? What confidence would they have
	that SPML 3.0 would not come out and be totally different from 2.0?

	Jeff Bohren
	Product Architect
	OpenNetwork Technologies, Inc

	Try the industry's only 100% .NET-enabled identity management software.
	Download your free copy of Universal IdP Standard Edition today. Go to
	www.opennetwork.com/eval.