Subject: FW: Provisioning gets its recognition

Interesting...read below

	-----Original Message-----
	From: NW on Identity Management [mailto:IdentityManagement@nwfnews.com]
	Sent: Tue 1/13/2004 10:00 AM
	To: Jeff Bohren
	Subject: Provisioning gets its recognition

	NETWORK WORLD NEWSLETTER: DAVE KEARNS ON IDENTITY MANAGEMENT
	01/12/04
	Today's focus:  Provisioning gets its recognition

	Dear jbohren@opennetwork.com,

	In this issue:

	* Moves that illustrate the importance of provisioning to the
	  identity management arena
	* Links related to Identity Management
	* Featured reader resource

	FREE WHITE PAPER: SERIAL ATA INTERFACE ON CLIENT SYSTEMS
	Leading PC technology companies developed the Serial Advanced
	Technology Attachment (ATA) storage interface for hard drives
	and ATA Packet Interface (ATAPI) devices. Beginning this year,
	the industry is transitioning from the legacy parallel ATA
	interface to Serial ATA. The Serial ATA storage interface
	architecture is as cost-effective as parallel ATA, yet has many
	performance advantages. In this white paper, we discuss the new
	technology and Dell's transition plans for client systems. Click
	here to download (registration required):
	http://www.fattail.com/redir/redirect.asp?CID=53269

	NETWORK WORLD SPECIAL REPORT: TAKING STOCK OF YOUR IT CAREER AND
	BRINGING IT TO THE NEXT LEVEL IN 2004

	Not sure if you've made the right career choice? This Special
	Report focuses on the network IT professional's career - what
	continues to make it a good versus bad career choice and how you
	can prepare yourself for a lifelong rewarding career as a
	network IT professional. Download your free copy today
	(registration required) at:
	http://www.fattail.com/redir/redirect.asp?CID=53385

	Today's focus:  Provisioning gets its recognition

	By Dave Kearns

	In the last issue, when I mentioned that provisioning is now
	only a small part of the entire identity management spectrum and
	needs to be integrated with the rest and be part of vendor
	offerings, it was not with any specific event in mind. I'd
	written those words before Christmas, so I wasn't influenced by
	the Dec. 30 announcement that Netegrity was acquiring Business
	Layers, arguably the last of the "pure play" provisioning
	companies. The acquisition follows Sun's purchase of Waveset and
	the previous acquisition of Access360 by IBM's Tivoli division.

	Yes, there are still "independent" (whatever that means, these
	days) providers of provisioning solutions, such as Thor and
	Oblix, but Thor came to provisioning from its long experience in
	security while Oblix moved beyond pure provisioning some time
	ago. Both are better examples of competitors against Netegrity
	than they were against Business Layers.

	Last February, when we re-named this newsletter from the
	previous title "Network World on Directory Services," I wrote
	that the directory is now part of the infrastructure for the
	loose collection of new age technologies called 'Web services.'
	I said that in particular, Web services rely on identity
	management and identity management requires a directory
	platform.

	I also mentioned that computing had moved on beyond arguing the
	need for directory services - the directory was necessary for
	21st century computing, which is now and will be for the
	foreseeable future based on an identity management paradigm.

	But just as the directory is necessary for identity management
	so too is the provisioning service. In the next generation of
	Web services, (or whatever the next "new thing" is called) it
	will be unthinkable that all of the data repositories containing
	a person's roles, personae, and attributes are not connected and
	related.

	Since provisioning will be an essential part of identity
	management, then, it will be a requirement for any vendor hoping
	to make a play in the identity management space to have a
	provisioning service - and it's better to have your own than to
	have to rely on someone else's. In fact, with provisioning
	becoming a small part of a larger solution, the way is clear for
	a general rationalization of provisioning methods - a fully
	formed, optimized provisioning protocol. That certainly seems
	like something that the Provisioning Services Technical
	Committee of OASIS could (and should) take up. And quickly,
	before Microsoft and IBM decide they'll dream up their own
	version called WS-Provisioning. Stay tuned; I'll keep you
	informed on where this is leading.

	RELATED EDITORIAL LINKS

	Introducing our new identity
	Network World Identity Management Newsletter, 02/17/03
	http://www.nwfusion.com/newsletters/dir/2003/0217ds1.html
	To contact: Dave Kearns

	Dave Kearns is a writer and consultant in Silicon Valley. He's
	recognized as being among the first to identify the directory
	and directory-enabled applications as the foundation of identity
	management and 21st century computing. His musings can be found
	at Virtual Quill <http://www.vquill.com/>. Comments on this
	newsletter should be sent to him at
	<mailto:identity@vquill.com>.

	Kearns provides content services to network vendors: books,
	manuals, white papers, lectures and seminars, marketing,
	technical marketing and support documents. Virtual Quill
	provides "words to sell by..." Find out more by e-mail at
	<mailto:info@vquill.com>

	SIGN UP FOR NW'S NEW NEWSLETTER ON DATACENTERS

	Soon to launch is NW's newsletter on Datacenters. Written by
	Johna Till Johnson and the team at Nemertes Research, this
	weekly newsletter will include an ongoing assessment of current
	business drivers and future trends, and provides concrete advice
	and guidance for IT executives seeking to consolidate data
	centers, improve disaster recovery, and deploy virtualization
	techniques. Sign up today at:
	http://www.fattail.com/redir/redirect.asp?CID=53382
	ARCHIVE LINKS

	Breaking identity management news from Network World, updated
	daily: http://www.nwfusion.com/topics/directories.html

	Archive of the Identity Management newsletter:
	http://www.nwfusion.com/newsletters/dir/index.html
	FEATURED READER RESOURCE
	SANity CHECK

	Along with any new technology come large doses of hyperbole and
	vague promises. With storage- area networks the promises
	included better ROI through storage consolidation and increased
	business productivity through collaboration. SAN usage is
	growing but users say performance problems and lack of
	management tools are a problem. Check out this latest feature
	article from Network World on SANs at:
	<http://www.nwfusion.com/research/2004/0105sans.html>
	You've got the technology snapshot of your choice delivered
	at your fingertips each day. Now, extend your knowledge by
	receiving 51 FREE issues to our print publication. Apply
	today at http://www.subscribenw.com/nl2

	International subscribers click here:
	http://nww1.com/go/circ_promo.html

	To change your e-mail address, go to:
	<http://www.nwwsubscribe.com/ChangeMail.aspx>

	Subscription questions? Contact Customer Service by replying to
	this message.

	This message was sent to: jbohren@opennetwork.com
	Please use this address when modifying your subscription.

	Have editorial comments? Write Jeff Caruso, Newsletter Editor,
	at: <mailto:jcaruso@nww.com>

	Inquiries to: NL Customer Service, Network World, Inc., 118
	Turnpike Road, Southborough, MA 01772

	For advertising information, write Alonna Doucette, V.P. of
	Online Development, at: <mailto:sponsorships@nwfusion.com>

	Copyright Network World, Inc., 2004

	This message was sent to:  jbohren@opennetwork.com