Subject: SPML 2.0 Proposals & Next Steps...

Title: [provision] ONT SPML 2.0 Proposal, revised...
Team

Over recent weeks the committee has spent a good deal of time reviewing requirements for SPML 2.0, looking at scope and reviewing specification submissions from member companies.  In order to push for (as they say in sales) a "preemptive close" on this issue, I offer the observations below, followed by a concrete proposal:

Observations
- Having reviewed several proposals for dealing with complex objects, there was consensu that both the ONT and IBM proposals met with requirements
- There was consensus support for extending the operations to include more domain specific verbs as employed in the IBM proposal
- There was consensuss support for providing continued support for the 1.0 data model in 2.0
- A wider analysis of the provisioning domain model was required and that the conclusions of this activity would not be a barrier to defining 2.0, but may contribute to it's implementation or a later revision.

Proposal
- We taken action over the coming weeks to produce a specification straw-man, that merges JeffB's proposed dual data-model with Gerry's operations to produce an outline of the merged specification
- Review this straw-man to ensure it *can* meet committee requirements
- Plan/breakdown activities to 2.0 and produce a project plan before end of March 2004.

I propose we discuss this as the main item of business for tomorrows PSTC con-call.

-darran