Subject: One or many data models?

As discussed, the committee has to decide on the data model for the 2.0 specification.  On the one hand, as prototyped by Jeff Bohren at the last F2F meeting, we can devise a solution that keeps the 1.0 DSML data model by adding an extensible schema "root" that allowed for its coexistence with a new "XML Schema" data model.  The "cost" of this model is increased complexity.  On the other hand we can take a single data model solution as proposed by Gerry Woods at the F2F and base 2.0 on a pure XML Schema data model at the "expense" of 1.0/ 2.0 compatibility and backwards support for 1.0 in a 2.0 compliant service.

Please consider this issue and ask questions/state preferences now.  I propose we hold a ballot on this issue around the next committee con-call 3/16/04.

Thanks
Darran