Subject: RE: [provision] One or many data models?

Title: Message
In one method an spml:schema element is returned and in another an xsd:schema element is returned. The fact that the spml:schema element is defined in the spml specification and the xsd:schema is defined in the XML Schema specification does not make any functional difference. They are both standard schema notations.

Jeff Bohren
Product Architect
OpenNetwork Technologies, Inc

Try the industry's only 100% .NET-enabled identity management software. Download your free copy of Universal IdP Standard Edition today. Go to www.opennetwork.com/eval.

-----Original Message-----
From: Gearard Woods [mailto:gewoods@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 2004 3:52 PM
To: Jeff Bohren
Cc: provision@lists.oasis-open.org

I think I'm still being unclear. What I'm referring to is the inclusion and reference to the specific schema language in the spec. Specifically, the ONT proposal includes the notion of an "spml" attributeDefinition and objectClassDefinition. These include specific references to the SPML 1.0 dsml-based model. This is not a runtime construct, it's embedded in the schema for the proposal. The WS-Provisioning approach is to leave the schema language definition out of the specification and have it be described at runtime. Simply because in the ONT proposal the schema is delivered using a runtime request does not mean that it is the same thing at all. Surely you see the distinction here.

I'm obviously repeating myself but the point is that by embedding the SPML1.0 constructs, through inclusion of the schema and use of the types, you are now "bound" to that legacy.
Gerry

Inactive hide details for "Jeff Bohren" <jbohren@opennetwork.com>"Jeff Bohren" <jbohren@opennetwork.com>

          "Jeff Bohren" <jbohren@opennetwork.com>

          03/02/2004 10:32 AM