Subject: [provision] Attribute Grouping Was: One or many data models?

Good question Jeff.

I know for the xs:complex definition you can specify an xs:group for the
classifications of elements, so that should work (think of it as a class
with a series of inner-struct's).

However, the real challenge, and one that applies to a flat set of
attributes as well as grouped attributes, is the ordering of the attributes.
How to specify that the presentation order should be First Name, Middle
Initial and Last Name, as opposed to the order in which the attributes were
parsed. Also, since XML-Schema is very deterministic, you can specify the
<attribute> requirement, but not so much 'permit<attribute id="foo"> but not
<attribute id="blah"> '

So, yeah, it may have to live outside of the raw schema definition. Unless
one of the other schema definitions is more liberal.

-Sandy

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Bohren [mailto:jbohren@opennetwork.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 03, 2004 12:16 PM
To: provision@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: RE: [provision] One or many data models?

Sandy,

The attribute grouping idea sounds very interesting. Along the same
lines the schema could provide locale specific attribute names as well.
Would you see that as useful?

If this was added to SPML 2.0, wouldn't that necessitate the need for a
custom schema notation? XSD could be used to define the data, but I'm
not sure if it could feasibly be used to provide presentation
information.

Jeff Bohren
Product Architect
OpenNetwork Technologies, Inc

Try the industry's only 100% .NET-enabled identity management software.
Download your free copy of Universal IdP Standard Edition today. Go to
www.opennetwork.com/eval.