Subject: RE: [provision] SPML 2.0 Use Case doc, first draft...

Title: Message

What I would suggest is that you post specific detailed use cases and I will fold those into the document. Those can fall into the following categories:

1) Those that describe use cases that are not covered so far. In this case they will be added.

2) Those that overlap existing use cases. In this case they will be added and we will need to add other use cases that fill in the gaps before removing the previous ones.

3) Those that replace existing use cases. In this case they will be added and the previous ones will be removed.

Jeff Bohren
Product Architect
OpenNetwork Technologies, Inc

Try the industry's only 100% .NET-enabled identity management software. Download your free copy of Universal IdP Standard Edition today. Go to www.opennetwork.com/eval.

-----Original Message-----
From: Gearard Woods [mailto:gewoods@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 08, 2004 2:11 AM
To: Jeff Bohren
Cc: provision@lists.oasis-open.org

Jeff,
Maybe I could just outline what I'm suggesting by throwing out a few examples without any detail:

1. Provision a resource
1a. Schedule the provisioning of a resource at some time in the future
2. Deprovision a resource
2a. Schedule the deprovisioning of a resource at some time in the future
3. Modify provisioned data associated with a provisioned resource
4. Query available targets
5. Query target schema
6. Query provisioned resources
7. Modify the state of a provisioned resource
7a. Suspend
7b. Restore
8 Query the state of a provisioned resource
9. Create and query relationships between provisioned data instances or targets
9a. Create/query hierarchical organizations
9b. Create/query dependancy graphs
9c. Create/query groups
10. Federate heterogeneous (multi vendor) or homogenous (single vendor) provisioning systems
10a. Vendor A PSP provision to Vendor B PSP

Apologies for avoiding the PSTC acronyms for the most part but I find that they can be kind of confusing at times. The original use cases can still be effectively captured in 1-6 but I would like to get away from the complexity of who creates what ID where. I'm not sure those separate use cases were very helpful in describing the problem domain in any case. 1a and 2a have been suggested by Gary's model where times for activation and de-activation have been in the schema. There has been a lot of discussion regarding state so #7 and #8 might speak to that and could encompass your D1-D2. #9 is essentially your C1-C3 but I would prefer to model relationships in general since I think they have great value in this domain. The federation use cases reflect your B1-B2 but our scenarios do not have a strict sequence of messages visible through the external interface so I think this should be a little more general. Perhaps these might form the basis of an interoperability discussion? I'm sure other people have better interoperability use cases.

These are not intended to negate your document but just to offer a slightly different view. In my opinion, at the level of a use case things should be fairly general and easy to understand. I found the proliferation of use cases based on the generation of PSO-IDs very distracting in the original document and did not lead to an understanding of the real problems that the SPML was trying to solve.
Gerry

Inactive hide details for "Jeff Bohren" <jbohren@opennetwork.com>"Jeff Bohren" <jbohren@opennetwork.com>

          "Jeff Bohren" <jbohren@opennetwork.com>

          04/06/2004 10:51 AM