Subject: RE: [provision] RE: Account-specific operations (was "Basic Operations...")

Jeff,

I do believe that we need to better model how provisioning is used and that
drives me to the conclusion that the concepts of accounts, passwords,
suspension and resume and so on should be part of what we refer to.  I do
not necessarily suggest that we should have a core protocol operation named
'password change' . On the contrary . I like the simplicity and intuitive
nature of our current SPML 1.0 model with the crud operations but for the
sake of interoperability we need PrOM or a standard schema that will
correctly model the provisioning space.

Doron

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Bohren [mailto:jbohren@opennetwork.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 4:50 PM
To: provision@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: RE: [provision] RE: Account-specific operations (was "Basic
Operations...")

All password related information  (the password, password reset status,
etc.) has to be optionally set on the provision provisioning request. All
the password related information, except the password itself, needs to be
readable as well.

By adding password operations we would essentially create a protocol by
which some information can be set using the standard CRUD operations, but
must be modified and read using an entirely different set of password
specific operations. That makes the protocol more complex and harder to
understand.

I have heard several people express the opinion that having an operation
called "set password" is somehow more intuitive and easier to understand
than using existing operations to set a password attribute. There is no
evidence of that and quite a lot of evidence to the contrary. LDAP is the
single most successful identity management protocol in use today, and it
uses setting a password attribute.

It seems to me we should emulate proven success where possible. If there is
a way that is simpler and clearer I'm all for it, but so far I have not seen
any arguments to that effect.

Jeff Bohren
Product Architect
OpenNetwork Technologies, Inc

Try the industry's only 100% .NET-enabled identity management software.
Download your free copy of Universal IdP Standard Edition today. Go to
www.opennetwork.com/eval.