Subject: RE: [provision] SPML 2.0 Relationships proposal...

Jeff,
My understanding was that the reason we wanted creation of containment relationships at the same time as the PSO was to address problems with things like groupOfNames or groupOfUniqueNames, that require a member to be specified. At least that was the discussion I remember from the F2F. I don't necessarily think that this is reason enough to shape the whole relationship approach though. I'm not sure what other resources make containment immutable. Perhaps an example would be persuasive.

I think the terminology I used in my suggestion is causing some misunderstandings. In the COS Relationship interface, a relationship is defined as a collection of roles. These are not roles in the sense used in the provisioning world, they are the roles that objects play in a given relationship. "Contained" is a role, for example, and "Contains" is a role. A Containment relationship is comprised of these roles. It sounds like you didn't get a chance to look at the schema I sent out, which should make this clear, but maybe a name change would help if it's still confusing. There are, in my mind, very few restrictions placed on users of the relationship model I suggested and certainly all of your examples can be easily accommodated. I think it might be more extensible even.

The argument for doing a create of an object and its relationship in a single operation is a good one. Perhaps the use of a relationship operation in a batch would satisfy us both. Fundamentally, I'm just not keen on the idea of extending core requests such as add, modify, and search to incorporate different kinds of relationships. It seems inconsistent to me to use one operation when you want to just add an item, and another when you want to add it and and do something else. And search seems very convoluted. I'm not sure it's a good pattern to propagate in future capabilities either. What I'd prefer would be that there is a single, consitent way to manipulate objects and a capability providing a single consistent way to manage relationships. Overloading a basic set of operations might seem simpler but I don't think it always leads to the appropriate interface for a given application.
Gerry

Inactive hide details for "Jeff Bohren" <jbohren@opennetwork.com>"Jeff Bohren" <jbohren@opennetwork.com>

          "Jeff Bohren" <jbohren@opennetwork.com>

          08/03/2004 08:05 PM