Subject: Batch Capability.

Should 'batch' be a required operation?

Right now 'batch' is part of the core (which de facto makes it
required), but it doesn't really have to be part of the core.  It's not
a *basic* operation (like 'add', 'modify', 'delete', or 'lookup') and
it's not a *bootstrap* operation (like 'listTargets').  It's an
operation that wraps multiple (batchable) requests in a single request.

I think we should move the 'batch' operation to a Batch Capability (for
the same reasons that we moved 'search' to the Search Capability).  The
'batch' operation imposes a fair amount of complexity on the provider,
and should be optional.
1) The 'batch' operation requires that the provider order nested results
within its response (to correspond with the order of the requests within
the original request).
2) The batch operation also also allows the requestor to specify
"processingType" as either "sequential" or "parallel".

gpc

ps. In addition to its specified features, the 'batch' operation is the
"poster child" for asynchronous execution.  We could remove a fair
amount of complexity from the core protocol if the basic operations were
all synchronous--and we could do it without reducing function.  As long
as the provider supports asynchronous execution of batch requests, a
requestor who wants to execute an operation asynchronously can simply
wrap the original request in a batch request.