Subject: RE: [provision] Keeping results of asychronous operations.

Title: RE: [provision] Keeping results of asychronous operations.

Option 1b is the one I prefer.

Doron

Doron Cohen

Chief Architect, Identity Management BU

bmcsoftware

Identity Management aligns People to Business Services

www.bmc.com/identitymanagement

-----Original Message-----
From: Gary P Cole [mailto:Gary.P.Cole@Sun.COM]
Sent: Friday, October 29, 2004 4:08 AM
To: PSTC

A provider will eventually want to forget about a completed asynchronous

operation. I can think of two approaches.  Neither approach excludes the

other.

1) A provider can save the results of asynchronous operations for a

certain amount of time.

2) A provider can send a final, unsolicited response to the requestor.

I prefer the first approach.  I like the simplicity and consistency of a

response always being a synchronous reply to a request.  (However, if

someone wants to make a case for the second approach, I'll listen.

Neither approach excludes the other.)

Assuming the first approach, we still have options to consider.

1a) A provider should keep results for each completed asynchronous

operation for a certain amount of time.

1b) A provider should keep results for each completed asynchronous

operation for a certain amount of time OR until a requestor uses the

status operation to obtain the final results of the operation, whichever

comes first.

gpc