Subject: async lookup?

Should a 'lookup' be executed asynchronously?  Or should we state that a
'lookup' must be synchronous?

The last time we hashed over sync/async, Doron said that any operation
could be asynchronous unless there was a specific reason to preclude
async execution.  We've so far established specific reasons why
'status', 'cancel', and 'listTargets' must be synchronous.