Subject: Re: [provision] statusReturns.

Jeff,

Your suggestion of 'statusOnly' is an improvement on what we currently
have, but I think we need to take this a little bit further.

1) It appears to me that SPML 1.0 specified (what we would now call)
'statusOnly' as the default so that a requestor could poll until an
operation was complete and *then* request the output (or "results").

If we change this so that the 'status' operation returns output (or
"results") by default, then (by default) each poll would transmit data
(at least partially) redundant with (that of) the previous poll.

2) Even if we adopt the 'statusOnly' approach, I still need a term I can
use to describe the output (or "results") of a requested operation.

I currently use the term "output" in the draft specification because I
found the distinction between "result" and "results" too confusing.
- StatusReturnsType#status actually requests the "result" attribute
(which is a value of type ResultCode).  Even with your suggestion,
'statusOnly' actually requests the "result" attribute.
- StatusReturnsType#result actually requests the *output* of the
operation (which is nowhere formally described, except perhaps in the
context of specific extensions of SpmlResponseType).

I came up with the term "output" because "results" was simply too close
to "result".
What about using the term "content"?

3) I think that the boolean option should request whichever behavior is
NOT the default.

If returning results/output/content should be the default, then I like
your suggestion:

    <attribute name='statusOnly' type='xsd:boolean" use="optional"
 default="false"/>

If returning only status/result should be the default, then how about

    <attribute name='includeContent' type='xsd:boolean" use="optional"
 default="false"/>

gpc