Subject: RE: [provision] Non-batchable operations.

1, 3, 4, 5, 6 all seem reasonable.

I would not want to restrict batch to not being batchable. This is for the case where batch is being used to provide atomic semantics (assuming the service provides such support). A batch of batches would be an atomic transaction composed of atomic transactions. I doubt that this would really ever be used, but I also don't see a reason to disallow it either.

The bulk operations should absolutely be batchable. For instance if there is a need to perform the same bulk operation to two different targets, it would make sense to batch them.

Jeff B.

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Gary P Cole [mailto:Gary.P.Cole@Sun.COM]
	Sent: Thu 2/17/2005 9:44 AM
	To: PSTC

	I agree that this is the real question, so I'll repeat the original
	content (since it may have been lost or buried in subsequent replies in
	this thread).

	It seems clear to me that:
	1) 'listTargets' is not batchable
	   (for the same "bootstrapping" reasons that it is synchronous).
	2) 'batch' is not batchable
	   (it would be a mess to nest these).
	3) 'search' is not batchable
	   (the batch response could become far too large).
	4) 'iterate' is not batchable
	   (for the same reasons that it must be synchronous)

	I don't see why Async Capability operations would be batchable
	(since they must be synchronous and batch is usually async):
	5) 'cancel' should not be batchable
	   (seems weird to batch a cancel request with other requests;
	    the batch would have to be synchronous)
	6) 'status' should not be batchable
	   (seems weird to batch a status request with other requests;
	    the batch would have to be synchronous)

	Finally, I'm not sure that Bulk Capability operations should be batchable
	(but I cannot really say that this would cause a problem):
	7) 'bulkModify' ?
	8) 'bulkDelete' ?

	Everything else (add, lookup, modify, delete, setPassword,
	expirePassword, resetPassword, validatePassword) seems okay to be
	batchable.

	I lean toward normatively specifying at least those that are NOT
	batchable. For example, to batch a listTargets request is a logical
	error.  To batch a batch request seems a very bad idea--this way lies
	madness.