Subject: Overlap between spec and profile docs.

I'm thinking about XPath at the moment, but I think the issue is
broader. We've agreed that an SPMLv2 provider MUST support XPath 2.0
abbreviated location paths (and MAY support arbitrary XPath
expressions), but where does this language belong?

I want to describe XPath in the specification (because XPath and the
requirement to support abbreviated location paths seems general), but
one might argue that the issue of XPath support is specific to the XSD
profile.  I'm not trying to argue that specific point right now--I'm
after something else.  If we *assume* for the moment that XPath is
irrelevant to the DSML profile, then should the specification (or should
the XSD profile) describe Xpath support?

Suppose that we decide that a certain aspect of behavior should be
described in the specification--because we believe that the requirement
is general (or is general enough to apply to more than one profile).
Should a specific profile be allowed to override the specification in
any way it sees fit, or should a profile only be allowed to *add to* the
specification?

Other standards groups have probably already tackled questions like
these.  PSTC members (with more experience than I have) may already know
the convention.  If so, please share.