Subject: What is the namespaceURI value for XPath expressions?

The subject of this email is an open spec issue:
What is the namespaceURI value for an XPath expression?

This may be a simple question--if someone can find an XML namespace that
is associated with XPath 2.0--but we'll need the answer.  I want to use
XPath in the examples, so any <select> element in a <query> (or any
<component> element in a <modification>) will need this.

If we learn that there is no XML namespace that is associated with XPath
2.0, then we'll have to invent a "fake one" (i.e., specify a sentinel
value to use in its place).  The only other approach I can see is to
leave the provider to "guess" which query language the requestor has
used (or to know by prearrangement which query language to expect).

Let's hope this is simple.  I'm counting on you specification
literati--yea, perhaps even "illuminati") to find the answer.

Thanks in advance,

Gary