Subject: Search on references

Jeff,

Thank you for offering to explore the possibility that we can support a
requestor searching based on references.  I don't know whether this will
help, but I remember some of the issues that surrounded
search-based-on-references when we discussed this at the Houston BMC
Face-to-Face.

One issue was the inelegance of expressing a search condition on
something that was outside the schema, when elsewhere we used XPath to
refer to schema-defined elements or attributes.

Another issue was that it might be difficult (or performance-intensive)
for a provider to combine reference conditions with
schema-defined-element-or-attribute conditions.  Reference data might be
managed by the provider separately and stored separately from
schema-defined data managed by the system or application underlying a
target.  Combining both types of conditions might require two-stage
filtering (which might mean that the provider selects a lot of data from
the target only to discard most of it during second-stage filtering).

In the spec, my approach was to say that
- a requestor may search only based on schema-defined elements or
attributes, and that
- a provider who wants to support search based on references may expose
those references as elements or attributes in the target schema.

The advantages of this approach are 1) that the same search mechanism
works for both reference and schema-defined data and 2) that the
provider controls the set of references on which a requestor may search.

One disadvantage is that this approach defeats one purpose of separating
references from schema-defined data.  If the provider models a reference
type in the schema, then a requestor can no longer suppress that
(reference) data simply by ignoring capability data. Another drawback is
that the provider might have to "monkey with" a well-known schema in
order to inject reference elements or attributes.

What are your thoughts on supporting search based on references?

Gary