Subject: Concern with SPML 2.0 Approval Timeline.

Bohren, Jeffrey wrote:

>Attached is the second draft of the timeline to get SPML 2.0 approved.
>Please review this and let us know if you have any concerns.

My biggest concern is resolving minor issues in a timely manner. You'd
think that major issues would be the biggest risk, but recent experience
suggests that *minor* issues are the biggest time sink. In the past,
I've noted a number of issues in the spec.  I've also posted these same
issues to the list, usually with some background material as context for
those who may not follow as closely.  I also collect these in the spec
issues list, which I publish periodically.

One problem is that many issues languish.  If an issue is one that
interests Jeff Bohren, he usually responds quickly.  Martin Raeppler has
also contributed timely comments and suggestions.  Generally speaking,
however, issues raised to the list simply collect dust.

 A second problem is that Jeff and I seem to be the only two who care
about certain issues.  If the two of us cannot find agreement, the
result is often a stalemate.  Another person's perspective often works
wonders.  Another opinion may act as a tie-breaker.  A question from
someone else may help to shift the discussion.  Even someone else
explaining that they don't care at all about a particular issue might
convince Jeff and I just to flip a coin.

I encourage every contributor--and I really do mean *every* contributor,
but especially those who regularly attend the Face-to-Face meetings--to
help address issues posted to the list.
- If you have an opinion, please voice it.
   (Even a simple "+1" makes a difference.)
- If you don't understand an issue, please say so.
  (The mysteries of SPML are not so deep that we cannot explain.)
-  If you have questions, please ask them.
- If you think an issue is unimportant, please say so.
   (Even that kind of comment may help to keep an issue in perspective.)

 If we all contribute to the discussion, I think we can knock this one
out of the park.

Gary

ps.  If something I do or say causes you not to want to contribute,
please email me directly.  I will do my best to change that behavior.