Subject: RE: [provision] Spec issues #22 and #23: AddRequest targetID, containerID and psoID.

Looking back over the XSDs, I agree with Gary that the targetID should be an
attribute of the addRequest. If there are no other objections I will make
that change in the next draft of the XSDs.

I would like to clear up the confusion about containerID and psoID. There
are three cases:

1) The targetID is specified and the containerID and the psoID are not
specified.
2) The containerID is specified and the targetID and the psoID are not
specified.
3) The psoID is specified and the the targetID and the containerID are not
specified.

Looking at each case:

1) The targetID is specified and the containerID and psoID are not
specified. In this case no containment is specified and the SPML service
will calculate and return the new psoID. If the target supports containment,
the new PSO will be a root PSO of the target and the psoID will not have a
defined container.

2) The containerID is specified and the targetID and the psoID are not
specified. In this case the SPML service will calculate and return the new
psoID, where the new psoID has the specified containerID as it's container.
The targetID should not be specified because it is part of the containerID.

3)  The psoID is specified and the the targetID and the containerID are not
specified. In this case the SPML service is allowing the SPML client to
define the psoID. This is most likely the case in a federated provisioning
scenario where a IdP provisions identities to an SP prior to federated SSO.
The targetID and containerID should not be specified because they are part
of the psoID.

In all three of these cases, the targetID may be ommitted completely if
there is only one target.

Jeff Bohren
BMC