Subject: Batch as a Logical Unit of Work (was"Re: [provision] Comments on Draft 8 of the Spec...")

Bohren, Jeffrey wrote:

> 3.5.3.1 – ... Also change *A batch is not a logical unit of work* to
> *A batch does not need to be a logical unit of work*. We need to
> rework this paragraph to convey that a batch may or may not be a
> logical unit of work, but if it is, that is outside the bounds of the
> spec. The way it is written implies that it can not be a logical unit
> of work.

I believe that we agreed (during a conference call) to specify that a
batch should NOT imply a logical unit of work. As I recall, we decided
that any batch that implied a logical unit of work would be defined as a
separate capability. Rami Elron said there any batch operation that
implied a logical unit of work would require additional parameters and
options, and said that he might work on defining this capability.

I believe this was the same conference call in which we decided that
batch requests must not be nested (that is, a batch request must not
contain a batch request). I think we even put it to a vote (or at least
asked whether anyone objected to the decision and *wanted* a vote).
Should we try to dig up some email or meeting minutes?

I don't have any particular problem with rewording this section as you
suggest, but I hesitate to do so without remembering why we decided on
the current position. We *did* spend a fair amount of time and energy
discussing this issue back then.