Subject: RE: [provision] WS-CAF and the "Session Context Token"

As far as I understood Gary's issue in [0], the main reason for
implementing a session context is to optimize the server-side
processing, what I take as managing the resources associated with each
session (requestor). A specification addressing this issue better than
WS-CAF might be found in the Web Services Resource Framework (WSRF).
Specified by the OASIS WSRF TC, the documents are currently under public
review. Besides the more general WS-Resource specification [1] which
defines the terminology of a resource, WS-ResourceLifetime [2] provides
the concrete life-cycle management mechanisms for stateful resources at
the server (provider) side. It basically defines the interface for
managing a stateful resource and uses the Endpoint Reference defined by
WS-Addressing [3] in order to identify a certain instance of a Web
Service using a server-generated ID embedded as a Reference Property.
Since we currently identified the need for proper resource management
only in the context of the search capability, WSRF may be an overkill.
Further requirements like auditing basically require some way to
correlate a number of messages in the context of a session. This may
also be solved using WS-Addressing that defines metadata elements for
SOAP messages like a <MessageID> which could be used for message
correlation.
Regarding the spec, I would follow Gary's alternative B but we may add a
section on session management (as we already did for resource
management) with some advise regarding these standards and their support
in the respective domain.

[0]
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/provision/email/archives/20
0506/msg00065.html