Subject: Re: SearchRequestType#query.

Gary P Cole wrote:

> SearchRequestType#query is currently optional.  Is this correct? If
> this is correct, what behavior is expected if no query is specified?
>
> The spec currently states that a searchRequest must contain exactly
> one <query> element.

I believe the spec is correct (and that SearchRequestType should require
<query>).  At one time <query> might have been optional.  (A
searchRequest without a <query> might have acted a lot like a "listAll"
or "listChildren".)

However, as it stands right now, SearchQueryType currently contains the
"targetID" and "scope" attributes, as well as the <basePsoID> element.
Any search requires "targetID", and a function to "listAll" or
"listChildren" would want the "scope" and <basePsoID> arguments.

If we think that the <query> element of SearchRequestType should remain
optional, we should probably move "targetID", "scope", and "basePsoID"
to SearchRequestType.  (That would, in effect, leave SearchQueryType as
a wrapper for open content query conditions.)