Subject: RE: [provision] A SIMPLEST profile for SPML2.

While I agree that having a standard schema to use with SPML 2.0 would
enhance interoperability, I fail to see how using SAML attributes would
be simpler that DSML attributes.

The way SAML and DSML define attributes are logically identical, with
the only difference that SAML adds the concept of an attribute
namespace. Note that this could just as easily be accomplished by using
a URI for the attribute name in a DSML attribute.

SAML does not define any of the other concepts needed for provisioning,
such as a provisioning schema mechanism (which you need to express your
standard schema), a way to indicate PSO Type, or a search mechanism.
Given that, I fail to see how you the profile you describe would be any
more "simplest" that the existing DSML Profile.

To me the "simplest" profile would be the Core capability, implemented
using the DSML profile, using a standard schema.

Of course this all supposes the existence of a standard schema, which
does not currently exist.  Without more progress on achieving a standard
schema, work on the "simplest" profile seems premature to me.

Jeff Bohren
BMC