Subject: Re: [provision] UPA Improvements...

Jeff, thanks for doing the work to propose these changes.  Since I'm a bit rusty on the XSDs and since Diffs.txt highlights the "after" version of changed definitions (but does not show the "before" versions), I'd like to check my understanding with you:

1) ExtensibleType still allows 'anyAttribute', but no longer allows the 'sequence-of-any-element' that it previously did.

2) A new 'ExtensibleDataType' extends 'ExtensibleType' to allow both 'anyAttribute' and 'sequence-of-any-element'.

3) The new 'ExtensibleDataType' is used as the data type for elements within several types (that previously used 'ExtensibleType'):
   - PSOType#data
   - ReferenceType#referenceData
   - HasReferenceType#referenceData

4)  A number of Types that extend 'ExtensibleType' now explicitly add 'sequence-of-any-element' (whereas in the past they would have inherited 'sequence-of-any-element'):
   - CapabilityDataType
   - PSOIdentifierType
   - QueryClauseType
   - BatchRequestType
   - BatchResponseType
   - SearchQueryType

Do the above (1-4) correctly summarize the proposed changes?

Bohren, Jeff wrote:

Attached is a some possible changes we could put into the XSDs to reduce some of of UPA issues. I am reluctant to making any changes in the XSDs as part of the errata unless it really makes a difference. I’m not sure that these changes are worth it since they don’t resolve all the UPA issues, just some of them.

That said I believe that these changes would still be compatible with the specification, but we need to evaluate the likelihood of it causing problems with existing SPML 2.0 implementations.

Please take some time to evaluate these possible changes. The attached file contains the affects XSD files and a diffs.txt that summarizes the changes.

Jeff Bohren

13577 Feather Sound Drive, Suite 200, Clearwater, FL 33762

tel: 813.433.5719

Jeffrey_Bohren@bmc.com

www.bmc.com

Blog: http://talk.bmc.com/blogs/blog-bohren/jeff-bohren/