Subject: RE: [provision] Standard Schema draft 4.

Hi,

here are our comments and questions to the latest Standard Schema draft 4 [1]:

  • In the domain model diagram, Group should also have a "performs" relationship to Role with the cardinality (0,N), similar to Person/Role
  • The attribute Email-Address in Person is a multi-valued field, but there is no way to determine which address (in case of many) is the preferred one by the user
  • The Disable-Date and Enable-Date attributes should be renamed to "Valid-From" and "Valid-To"
  • Person should have an address assigned to it
  • The current address structure in Organization only allows to assign one address. For real-world scenarios, this is not sufficient, since an organization (and person) usually has more then one address, based on different usages (delivery address, home address etc.)
  • Since an Address can be a data structure of very complex nature, it would be helpful to allow additional 'extension' attributes (please see also submission of SAP standard schema proposal at [2])
  • Why do AccountTemplate and AccountAttribute don't have a DN attribute like Person, Group, Role etc.?
  • According to sections 2.2 and 2.3, the meaning of Role is defined as a job function (that can span multiple roles in many systems/services), whereas AccountTemplate specifies a "concrete" role in a Service/system-specific way. In this context, an AccountAttribute could represent a concrete permission within a system-specific role, e.g. the "PurchasingAgent" AccountTemplate could have an AccountAttribute "PurchaseOrderPermission". "PurchaseOrderPermission" itself might have multiple key/value attributes that define the actual actions that can be performed by this permission, e.g. "Action/Create", "Action/Delete", "Approval/>100k". Following this understanding,
    • an Account might have more than one AccountTemplate assigend to it (the diagramm currently shows 0,N to 1 relationship)
    • AccountAttribute should provide an attribute that can be mapped to the key/value pairs as stated abov
    • the names "AccountTemplate" and "AccountAttribte" are not the best choice for these types of entities. Better names might be "System[Service]Role" and "Permission" (?)
  • The Question and Answer entities don't seem to be on the same level of granularity as the other entities in the domain model. Therefore, we should move them to the Account entity as additional attribute

[1] http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/provision/email/archives/200703/msg00010.html

[2] http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/provision/email/archives/200702/msg00002.html

- Martin

From: Gary.P.Cole@Sun.COM [mailto:Gary.P.Cole@Sun.COM]
Sent: Dienstag, 27. März 2007 19:23
To: PSTC
Subject: [provision] Standard Schema draft 4.

Took a while, but I've attached a PDF.
  • This Introduction discusses SIMPLEST only as a schema (and not as a profile of SPML). The Protocol section has been removed accordingly.
  • The domain model is the same (although I've tweaked the names of the two entities in the lower-right-hand corner of the diagram: AccountTemplate and AccountAttribute).
  • The Schema section now reflects the object-classes and attributes from the spreadsheet that I sent to  (the list at the time of) the last Face-to-Face.
  • The Conformance section has been expanded.   It now discusses extensions to the standard schema as well as arbitrary (i.e., undeclared extensions) object-classes and attributes.
Obviously, this is just a draft, but it fairly represents the current proposal.  This draft should serve as a basis for further discussion.
  • I have not incorporated anything from SAP's submission to the Standard Schema.  I intended to do that, but it took longer than I expected merely to bring the draft up to date.
  • It feels a little weird to propose a standard schema without specifying a schema language.  Perhaps we can show how (operations using) the standard schema would look in the DSML Profile or SAML Profile or XSD Profile.
  • The language in the Conformance section is still a bit tortuous.  I can make the language clearer, given time, so what I need first and most is comment on the *ideas* in this section.