Subject: RE: [provision] Operational attributes (was "Re: [provision] Standard Schema draft 4 - big issues.")

I just had another idea. Suppose we created optional attributes that are only used for create operations and give them a special name. For instance we could have attributes like:

initialPassword

initialPasswordExpirationDate

initialDisabledState

These be semantically defined to only be meaningful on create operations. This would allow us a mechanism to create persons and accounts in a disabled state, while still requiring the capability specific operations to suspend/restore and set passwords.

I am not suggesting any change to the specification. Just descriptions in each of the attributes that indicate that they could optionally be used on create, but would be ignored otherwise.

How does that sound?

Jeff B.