Subject: Re: [provision] SPML Use Cases: Emergency Response and AttributeService focused...

Gary,

All good questions. I am locked in an all day meeting today and as such won't be on the call today (Someone from my org will be)

I'll be sure to respond to your questions below on the list as soon as I come up for air.

Regards,

- Anil

:-
:- Anil John (JHU/APL)
:- Currently mobile. Expect brevity.
:-

----- Original Message -----
From: Gary Cole <gary.cole@oracle.com>
To: John, Anil
Cc: provision@lists.oasis-open.org <provision@lists.oasis-open.org>; Richard Sand <Richard.Sand@skyworthttg.com>
Sent: Mon Sep 13 12:31:20 2010

Hi, Anil.  Thank you for writing up those use-cases.  Using SPML for
these use-cases makes sense to me.  Before I go into details, I'd like
to ask a few questions that are higher-level.  The answers may be
obvious to those who are already familiar with these (or similar) use-
cases, but I'd like to be sure that I understand.

1) Are these use-cases separate?  I ask because when I read them, it
sounds to me as though #1 and #2 are the same provider being used in
different ways by two different sets of clients: 1) departmental
clients pushing data into a centralized repository; and 2) mobile
clients pulling data from that centralized repository.  Even #3 sounds
as though it could be the same provider, but I assume that it is not,
or there would be no issue with compliance.

2) If these three use-cases all deal with the same set of data--that
is, the same centralized repository of Responders--then why are the
providers separate?  Are the providers kept separate for security
reasons--that is, each type of client should get access only to
certain functions, and the easiest way to lock this down is to deploy
a separate provider for each class of client?

I also want to a few questions that are more specific.  In some cases,
I may be jumping ahead to try to figure out where SPMLv2 falls short
in addressing the use-cases.

3) Batch CRUD operations are okay, right?  The main problems I see are
that: A) Batch Add operations can return the generated psoID only in
an AddResponse nested within the BatchResponse; and B) Batch Modify
operations can return a modified psoID only in an AddResponse nested
within the BatchResponse.  This means that only a subsequent request
can act on those newly-created PSOs (or newly-modified PSOs where the
modification changed the PSOID) in a way that requires the PSOID.  (Of
course, these are not problems in cases where the provider allows the
client to specify the PSOID and where the client can trust that
modification of a PSO will never change its PSOID.)

4) The ListTargetsResponse already advertises supported operations via
metadata, right?  I suspect that you have a specific shortcoming in
mind--or perhaps that you want to perform the same function in a
different style.  (Later on, you talk about using SAML2 metadata to
declare supported operations.  Is this what you mean by "metadata" in
the first use-case?)

5) What kind of support for standardized cross-cutting security
processing (e.g. SOAP/WS-Security) is needed in the specification (or
in a profile) of SPML?  As a committee, we took the stance that
message security would be layered on top of (i.e., independent of) the
message formats defined in the specification.  By calling this out in
your first use-case, are you suggesting that more should be done?  Or
you stating this merely for the sake of completeness?

6) In the third use-case, SMPL Operations on an Attribute Service, is
it important that a client be able to ask those two questions
separately?  I'm wondering why a client would not simply "search for
all users with attribute X" and obtain the attributes for each user
from the search result.

7) The possibility of using SAML2 metadata to advertise capabilities
is intriguing.  Is there a specific link that would be helpful for
participants to follow in learning about SAML2 metadata?  Also, wasn't
there some work in the SAML TC to develop a SAML2 profile for SPML
(possibly related to Federation use-cases)?  Would that work be
related to this in any way? If so, what is the status of that work?

Gary