Subject: Re: [provision] PSTC Charter

Gary,

I am a bit concerned that the charter as written focuses exclusively on SPML 2.0 extension/maintenance/update. Of course, thats definitely one of the tasks of the TC
but I  wonder if the charter could reflect some broader definition of "provisioning services" with SPML 2.0 as only one of the relevant technologies.

I realize this is an odd comment in some ways - I guess
I am suggesting that somehow we need to also make room for solutions that build on SAML or claims-based architectures or OpenId. Some of these technologies are now pretty
established in the field, and this should be reflected in any new work originating from the TC.

I will propose some additional or alternative language that articulates some of these thoughts in a more concrete way.

- prateek
The draft charter incorporating Dan Perry's comments is as follows below, after my signature.  (My previous post on this subject, sent on September 13, includes for reference the current PSTC charter and the current charter of the SSTC.  This draft charter is based on that of the SSTC, but has been adapted for the PSTC.  Any error is mine.)

Please review the proposed charter and offer any comment or suggestion that you may have.

Gary

OASIS Provisioning Services TC

The original Call For Participation for this TC may be found at <link>.

The charter was revised at the a meeting of the TC on <date> as minuted at <link>.

The charter for this TC is as follows.

Name

The official name is the Provisioning Services Technical Committee (PSTC). The PSTC is sometimes unofficially called the "SPML TC" or the "PSTC/SPML committee".

Statement of Purpose

Inter- and intra-enterprise application architectures require interoperable provisioning services that transcend the boundaries of single security domains. The interoperable exchange of identity information between domains, including the ability to manage identities across such domains, is crucial to developing solutions for provisioning across arbitrary systems and topologies.

The purpose of the TC is to define, enhance, and maintain a standard, XML-based framework for creating and managing information that represents user identities and related entities.

Scope of Work

The TC is engaged in evolving the suite of SPML specifications and in applying those specifications to use-cases that are of interest to its members. The Statement of Purpose above will guide the scope of this effort, which continues after the release of SPML 2.0.

This effort will deliver on the following goals:

• Address issues and enhancement requests that have arisen from experience with real-world implementations of SPML and from experience with other enterprise architectures that use SPML.
• Add support for features that were deferred from previous versions of SPML.
• Develop an approach for unifying various identity-provisioning models found in real-world implementations of SPML and in SPML-based provisioning services.

List of Deliverables

The TC released the V2.0 specifications on <date>. Work products may include updates to the following specifications published by the TC for V2.0:

• SPML Protocol
• SPML DSML Profile
• SPML XSD Profile
• Glossary
• Conformance Program

The Committee may also produce additional documents, such as specifications of new SPML profiles.

Audience

The primary audience for the final output of this TC are the architects and implementers of provisioning services.

Language of the TC

All business of the TC will be conducted in English.