Subject: RE: [provision] ask the cloud : why not SPML ?

Hi Tom - I think it's a good idea. Especially Google Apps is a good case for identifying weaknesses in SPML2.

Of course, google's provisioning API is a REST interface. But many of the atomic operations it supports are examples of operations I think that SPML2 should have better typed support for (e.g. CRUD operations for groups, org units).

Lets put it as a topic for the next call...

Richard Sand | CEO
239 Kings Highway East | Haddonfield | New Jersey 08033 | USA
Mobile: +1 267 984 3651| Office: +1 856 795 1722| Fax: +1 856 795 1733

-----Original Message-----
From: zellerta@gmail.com [mailto:zellerta@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Tom Zeller
Sent: Tuesday, March 08, 2011 2:16 PM
To: OASIS PSTC
Subject: [provision] ask the cloud : why not SPML ?

Would it be reasonable and possible to somehow ask why Google,
Microsoft, Facebook, etc. do not support SPML ?

If the issue is technical, then this TC can help resolve the issue. If
the issue is "business", then it might take more than just this TC to
increase adoption of a common provisioning standard.

My use case is quite simple : we (University of Memphis) would like to
use SPML to provision Microsoft Live@edu (Outlook Live) or gMail or
gApps.

Maybe if we use official PSTC letterhead ? (humor implied)

TomZ