Subject: Re: [provision] ask the cloud : why not SPML ?

> Do you have enough information to describe the business problem(s) we are
> trying to solve?  Then yes, please do.  I'd really like to know what's
> different about provisioning to the cloud and how we could change SPML to
> better support that.

The business problem is : the (complete) lack of SPML support.

I agree that, in many ways, "federated" or "cloud" provisioning is
just like Larry Ellison said, "vapor". I think Phil Hunt did a great
job in explaining federated provisioning as provision at-a-distance,
but that doesn't seem to require any changes to SPML.

However, it would be great to know why Google, Microsoft, Facebook,
etc. do not support SPML. Is it a technical issue ? If so, those folks
certainly have the resources to rectify a technical insufficiency. If
it is a "business" issue, then I am not sure that we can do anything
about it, other than get lots of folks in higher-ed to use SPML and
encourage change. We can try, we have some folks (like myself) writing
SPML tools and sharing them.

TomZ