Subject: Re: [provision] FYI: Simple Cloud Identity Management (SCIM)

The major attraction of SCIM appears to be REST.  That, and the chance
to make a fresh start (which sometimes amounts to the grass being
greener).

There was also talk of managing the life-cycle of identities, and of
managing access.  That amounts to a standard schema or to the
*functional* equivalent of a standard schema.  In case that statement
is unclear, the Password Capability in SPMLv2 is an attempt to
abstract password management as functions or methods or operations
rather than as a set of attributes (e.g., "password",
"passwordExpireDate"). The Identity Connector Framework took the
opposite approach of predefining certain object-classes and
attributes: a connector that declares one of those "reserved words" in
its schema opts into the contract for that object-class or attribute.

It's not terribly difficult to define a RESTful interface that
addresses the use-cases for identity management.  I've done it before
in a way that was generic enough to support users with accounts on
many different types of applications.  I imagine that one also could
define a RESTful interface that manages access.  Getting people to
agree on any particular representation is more difficult; this was the
main problem that beset the standard schema effort.  Standards are
like treaties; vendors must have more to gain by cooperative
competition than by proprietary competition in order to adopt a
standard meaningfully.

Google seems happy enough with its proprietary API, according to the
article.  We'd have to see how interested the SCIM community would be
in having our help--and whether in fact that would be considered
helpful.

Gary