Subject: Re: [provision] New dial-in for July 18 PSTC meeting (to discuss RESTPML)

Excellent question!  We did not discuss that.

The idea is to represent each object as an instance within some
class.  Each class is in effect a namespace within which names (or
identifiers) must be unique.

SPMLv2 specifies that the PSOID must be unique within a target.
However, many applications do not expose unique internal identifiers.
For these applications, the only identifier may be name, which may be
unique only within type.  (RACF is this way, for example. At the UI
level, everything is by name, and names are unique only within type.).
For such targets, the PSOID is actually a combination of object-class
and name.  To do the same thing RESTfully, the most natural way is to
treat the class as a namespace.

Representing each class as a namespace also makes it easier to support
SEARCH.  Search is simply a GET on the container; the search filter is
specified as request parameters.  Search predicates must refer to
attributes that the objects have; the class usually defines these
attributes.  This makes it seem even more natural to search on the
class-object, since the class-object provides meta-data object for all
instances of the class.

Does this make sense?  Would another scheme seem more natural to you?