public-sector-cloud-discuss message

Subject: WIDER FOCUS FOR PROPOSED PACR TC

I am pleased to be able to report on some very productive discussions with ODCA in recent days – see the earlier discussion thread headed  Possible topic for a new Technical Committee on Cloud Regulatory Compliance.   The result of these discussions confirms my original view that the work that ODCA are doing on Regulatory Compliance and our proposed PACR TC are very complimentary and there will be significant advantages in going forward together.  Working together will produce a much richer end product and will certainly attract a much wider participation of expertise. It will also avoid the often criticism of SDOs working in isolation.   ODCA have agreed to join and contribute their work to the new TC.

To this end I have revised the draft TC Charter, copy attached, to widen the focus of work to producing a generic model of Cloud requirements that are applicable to all business domains and then to produce subsets of that model for particular domains, the first one being the public sector which is where the PACR proposal was focussed.   I would strongly recommend this as the way forward and ask for your agreement to this change of focus and for your comments on the draft Charter please.   Bear in mind that these are only discussions at this stage and therefore no final decisions have been made yet.  But we need to have a good deal of consensus before I instigate the formal OASIS TC process.  The agreement on the final version of the Charter is taken once the formal process is underway so at this stage the draft is only indicative and we do not need agreement on every word and phrase.

My objective is still to try and launch the TC at the ICS event in Washington DC on 10-12 October but to do that we will need to make some very quick decisions so your early responses would be appreciated please.

Regards

John