regrep-comment message

Subject: Re: [regrep] Proposed change to Classification Infomodel

Copying regrep-comment list to keep an archive of complex discussion:

The nested syntax is only syntactical sugar used to conveniently
represent a single-inheritence ClassificationScheme
without having to explicitly wire Child ClassificationNodes to their
parents. Servers are required to flatten out such nested
representation and replace the nested structure with explicit
child-to-parent references via the parent attribute in RIM 3.

As we move to support Multiple Inheritance (MI)  of ClassificationNodes
the nested syntax is no longer useful when there is MI involved.

Ideally we would just remove the ability for a ClassificationNode to
have a set of child ClassificationNodes nested inside it as
sub-elements. The last time we tried this we had a public out-cry from
users that missed that convenience. Then there is the issue of migrating
existing single-inheritence schemes to
not use nesting if we removed the convenience syntax.

Thus what we are saying is that we can continue to support nested syntax
as convenience but it should only be used in single inheritance schemes.
If they are abused in MI schemes then the effect would be single
inheritance semantics with last scheme published determining the parent
of node that is child of multiple schemes.

The proposal does not compromise the need for supporting MI in
ClassificationNodes. It simply states that we will continue to allow
nested syntax for backward compatibility of pre-existing nested schemes
which are single inheritence. MI schemes should not use nested syntax.

Questions for you are:

a) Do you think the proposal as it stands is good?
b) Should we removed nested syntax (ClassificationNode can no longer
have child ClassificationNodes - only parent ClassificationNodes)
c) Any other changes on current proposal?

Thanks in advance for your valuable input.

--
Regards,
Farrukh Najmi

Web: http://www.wellfleetsoftware.com