regrep-comresolve message

Subject: RE: [regrep-comresolve] Issue database distribution: 3/15/2002

Farrukh, et al

We are both referring to the same note [1] from the Oasis ebXML Registry TC
chair, Kathryn.  We are interpreting it 180 degrees differently.  Please
indulge me by carefully reading my complete argument below.

I would like to expand on my argument a little in support of the proposed
discussion on Monday.  A key "customer" (BP Catalog Team) of the Oasis V2
Reg/Rep specifications has stated that the design of the unique ID based on
UUID does not currently meet their requirements [2].  The V2 Reg/Rep
specifications reference the standard and well-used UUID scheme. [3, section
7.3.1]

The use/adoption of the UUID scheme by the Reg/Rep team is consistent with
how many current specifications (within and outside of the ebXML effort) are
structuring the definition of unique keys.  Some relevant questions to ask
then are: Are the requirements [2] being proposed by the BP catalog team
unique to the catalog team?  Additionally, were these requirements known to
the ebXML effort at its inception or are they new?  Other groups across the
ebXML effort are discussing this issue also. [4]

If the requirement was recorded early in the ebXML [5,6] effort and the
current specifications do not meet the requirement, then it should be
recorded within this team's V2 issues log.  It is my assertion that this
requirement did exist early as evidenced by [6, lines 868:872].  If you all
believe that the requirements noted in [2] have been added since the ebXML
effort began its latter (i.e., V2) phases or the described requirements for
identification have been expanded, then I agree that this issue is not
unique to the Reg/Rep team but in fact is a limitation of all current ebXML
V2 specifications.

It shows a great deal of maturity and prudence to show your limitations or
to clearly delineate them within an issues log along side the specifications
themselves.  There is nothing wrong with doing this.

[1] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/regrep/200203/msg00030.html
[2] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/regrep/200202/msg00014.html
[3] http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/regrep/documents/2.0/specs/ebrs.pdf
[4] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ebxml-cppa/200202/msg00065.html