regrep-cooperating message

Subject: Re: [regrep-cooperating] Kickoff of federated registries work itemforV3

Farrukh & Zack,

First off, I don't think there is anything wrong with the OO view of the
world.  For the senior engineer in all of us, OO is probably a good
middle ground.

Next, while Zack makes a good point about the web services marketing
machine trivializing ebXML, the solution proposed is far from ideal for
practical reasons.  Every protocol adds a lot more spec development and
maintenance work, for which there are very few volunteers.  On top of
that, by making these protocols somewhat normative, other groups such as
ebxml-iic will have to develop and maintain a monstrously large set of
conformance and interoperability work, and that team also has very few
volunteers.

The solution, in my opinion, is to fight fire with fire.  The web
services machine only has an up on ebXML in perception, not technology.
What we have to do is work on improving the facilities within the web
services space for supporting ebXML, such as improving WSDL with an
ebXML binding.  By doing things such as adding a web services interface
to ebXML Registry, we are in fact marginalizing ebXML Messaging, albeit
in a subtle way.  I know for a fact that there is a HUGE amount of
interest in ebXML Messaging among large (and rich) companies who thing
vanilla SOAP is a toy, because I am partially attached to my company's
ebXML Messaging product team, and interact with a seemingly endless flow
of very deep technical questions from these companies.  ebXML Registry
has to support the other ebXML technologies first and foremost, so that
the ebXML institution keeps the lead in large enterprise.

That said, let's start in on federated registries.  This is an extremely
useful discussion, but it seems to be tangential to the task at hand.

Regards,

Matt

ps> Are either of you in Barcelona this week?  If so, maybe we can meet
up.

--
Matthew MacKenzie
XML Global R&D