regrep-ex-scheme message

Subject: New Discussion Group - Referencing External Schemes

This is a copy of the email sent to the entire "regrep" list on Friday,
August 17.

-- Len

OASIS/ebXML Registry members,

At a previous Registry teleconference meeting, Lisa announced that she was
going to set up a discussion group on the topic of referencing nodes of
classification schemes that exist but are external to the local Registry.
She named me to lead the discussion because I was the one who raised the
issue by submitting a proposal last June to change the way classifications
are handled in our model.

   http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/regrep/200106/msg00018.html

My proposal was not acted upon. Instead a new issue was created "Using
non-local classification schemes". A ballot of the group in mid-July
resulted in that issue being given high priority.

   http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/regrep/200107/msg00044.html

Lisa has since set up a new OASIS email discussion list for that issue. To
subscribe to the private discussion list, OASIS members should send an
email message to

   regrep-ex-scheme-request@lists.oasis-open.org

with the word "subscribe" as the body of the message. Subscribing to the
list does not constitute gaining committee membership; OASIS members must
contact the committee chair to inquire about becoming a committee member.
If your subscribe request was successful, you should get an email
confirmation within a few minutes.

After subscribing, you may send a message to the list at the address

   regrep-ex-scheme@lists.oasis-open.org

The content of all messages sent to this list is public and can be accessed
via the URL

   http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/regrep-ex-scheme/

I think this message will be the first one on that list.

My intent is to approach this topic from a requirements point of view
before discussing any specific solutions. We will assume that a person
wants to classify an existing "repository item" that has a RegistryEntry
instance in a local Registry by an "external" classification scheme.  The
person will have to somehow reference the external classification scheme
and a specific node (or path of nodes) from that classification scheme.

One required pre-requisite is that we will limit discussion to
classification schemes as defined in the OASIS/ebXML specifications, i.e.
"hierarchical" schemes. We will not broaden the discussion to more general
interpretations of "classifications" that might include "topic maps",
"semantic nets", "ontologies", etc.

The example "external" classification schemes will include at least the
following:

   UNSPSC        http://eccma.org/unspsc/browse/

   NAICS         http://www.census.gov/epcd/naics/naicscod.txt

   LivingThings  A distributed classification scheme with 7 named levels
                 with different pieces under the control of different
organizations

   ManyOthers    http://www.oasis-open.org/cover/classification.html

and likely others that I or other discussion participants will create.
We'll want our example set to include some dynamic schemes that may change
often, thus making it impractical to copy those schemes into our local
Registry, as well as schemes that are owned by another group who refuses
(for whatever reason) to let us copy the scheme into our Registry. We'll
want to include schemes that are owned and registered by some other
OASIS/ebXML conformant Registry as well as schemes that are owned and
controlled by registries not necessarily conformant to OASIS/ebXML
specifications, e.g. existing "library" classification schemes.

This group has no teleconferences set up yet. I'll see what kind of issues
we have before setting up the first teleconference. And I'll make sure that
the first teleconference meeting gets advertised to this entire "regrep"
email list.

Regards,
Len Gallagher

Len Gallagher                             LGallagher@nist.gov
NIST                                      Work: 301-975-3251
Bldg 820  Room 562                        Home: 301-424-1928
Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8970 USA           Fax: 301-948-6213