regrep-query message

Subject: Re: ContentBasedQuery questions/ideas.

Matt,

My comments are enclosed (==>).

Regards,  Dan

Metadata Management Technology and Standard
IBM DBTI for e-Business
Notes:     Dan Chang/Santa Teresa/IBM@IBMUS
Internet:  dtchang@us.ibm.com
VM:          IBMUSM50(DTCHANG)
Phone:    (408)-463-2319

                    Matthew
                    MacKenzie            To:     regrep-query@lists.oasis-open.org
                    <matt@xmlgloba       cc:
                    l.com>               Subject:     ContentBasedQuery questions/ideas.

                    09/05/01 02:06
                    PM

Team,

I have started looking more closely at ContentBasedQuery, and have a few
questions for those of you that may have been more closely involved with
the
registry specifications.  Please excuse my ignorance if I am off in left
field, here are my observations and questions:

1.  Does ContentBasedQuery need to fall under the FilterQuery umbrella? (I
think not, just checking.)
==> I think it should. Our focus is on the registry not the repository.
That is,
==> a user is expected to query through the registry not directly on the
repository.
==> Therefore, content-based query should supplement and be part of filter
query, not be
==> used independently.

2.  In the RS spec, appendix D talks about a syntax for defining
"Classification Indexes".  I read this over and over and don't really see
how
these details relate to content based queries, they seem to relate more to
defining how a registry implementer might  build side tables in their RDBMS

so that a keyed query could take place (e.g. id-1 LIKE fo% AND id-2 LIKE
%ar).  Does the ContentBasedQuery spec have to address the needs of the SQL

implementer, or should it remain technology neutral with apendixes for
implementation specific issues (if available)?
==> Our last discussion/agreement was that, to make things simpler and more
uniform,
==> content-based query will be based on content index expressed in XPath.

3.  How does everyone feel about a "Content Handler" architecture that
would
allow for a content based query to span more than just XML documents?  The
registry's self describing CPP could contain a list of mime types that can
be
content searched, and the implementation of each content type other than
XML/HTML and plain text could be left up to registry vendors.
==> Content handler sounds good.

Thoughts? Opinions? Flames?

Also, if you would like to volunteer to help with this stuff, let me know.

--
Matthew MacKenzie
XML Global

<quote>
Fortune's Real-Life Courtroom Quote #52:
Q:  What is your name?