regrep-query message

Subject: Re: telecon

Farrukh,

I am not sure what you meant by proposals already on the table or a
specific significant proposal. To my recollection, our discussion ranged
from content based query to content handler to Web services to CORBA
services to pluggable architecture to SPI (Services Provider API).

I would like to encourage you to draft the specific proposal for the
content handler architecture that you have in mind and forward it to the
whole team for review and comment. I think it will be a very valuable
contribution. My take is that it should not be restricted for use by
content based query only. Such an SPI, as you called it, is missing in the
current spec and, I believe, is needed to allow the plugging of different
types of content (or repository item) handlers not just for query but also
for deposit, retrieval, etc. and to support security, etc.

Regards,  Dan

Metadata Management Technology and Standard
IBM DBTI for e-Business
Notes:     Dan Chang/Santa Teresa/IBM@IBMUS
Internet:  dtchang@us.ibm.com
VM:          IBMUSM50(DTCHANG)
Phone:    (408)-463-2319

                    Farrukh Najmi
                    <Farrukh.Najmi       To:     Dan Chang/Santa Teresa/IBM@IBMUS
                    @sun.com>            cc:     Farrukh Najmi <Farrukh.Najmi@sun.com>,
                                          lgallagher@nist.gov, David RR Webber <Gnosis_@compuserve.com>,
                    09/07/01 11:30        Matthew MacKenzie <matt@xmlglobal.com>, sfuger@AIAG.ORG,
                    AM                    jneu@vitria.com, regrep-query@lists.oasis-open.org

Dan,

I think it is inappropriate to dismiss a good chunk  of the meeting as
heated
discussion in the minutes when
the discussion centered around a significant proposal for an architected
way
using web services
to define content handlers for Content Based Queries. The discussion built
upon
proposals already on the table.

To be fair to myself and Matt, I just want to record the proposal and the
action item for me to make the proposal in writing.