regrep-query message

Subject: Re: Revision of FilterQuery proposal

Team,

Some in-line comments below.

-- Len

At 08:22 PM 10/5/01, Farrukh Najmi wrote:
>Len,
>
>I need a clarification.
>
>It appears that given the latest filter query proposal may not allow
>retrieval of
>things like Classification, Association, ExtrenalLink, ExternalIdentifier
>based
>upon any of the following branches:
>
>SourceAssociationBranch
>TargetAssociationBranch
>HasClassificationBranch
>SubmittingOrganizationBranch
>ResponsibleOrganizationBranch
>ExternalIdentifierBranch
>ExternalLinkBranch
>HasSlotBranch
>HasAuditableEventBranch
>
>Please let me know if I am mistaken about the above perception.

That's correct. FilterQuery does not support direct retrieval of things
like Association instances and Classification instances. Instead,
Associations are treated as queryable links between RegistryEntry instances
and Classifcation instances are queryable links between RegistryEntry
instances and a specific node of some classification scheme.

Also, ExternalLink and ExternalIdentifier are treated as queryable
properties of RegistryEntry instances rather than as stand-alone
retrievable objects.

>Recall that the ability to find Classification, Association, ExtrenalLink,
>ExternalIdentifier etc. by their classification was supported by existing
>browse
>and drill down queries.

That's true. The GetClassifiedObjectsRequest discussed in section 8.1.3
would take a list of ClassificationNode UUID's as input and return all
RegistryObject instances classified by each of those nodes. Thus,
GetClassifiedObjectsRequest, is sort of a polymorphic query that returns
objects of different subtypes. Instead, FilterQuery retrieves only one kind
of subtype at a time, i.e. RegistryEntry, Organization, AuditableEvent,
etc. The important classification of things like ExternalIdentifier
instances would be carried as an attribute. Recall our discussions on
whether the name attribute of ExternalIdentifier should carry the "type" of
ExternalIdentifier (e.g. GUID, SSN, EID, URN, UUID, etc) or if we should
rename that attribute to "extIdType", or define a new attribute
"extIdType". FilterQuery assumes that the important classifications of
Association instances are carried by the "associationType" attribute, and
that important classifications of Classification instances are determined
by the referenced ClassificationScheme instance, and that important
classifications of ExternalLink instances are determined by the name
attribute (possibly renamed as extLinkType), etc.  I don't think there's
any loss of functionality required by known use cases.

>The solution I see is quite a simple enhancement to your latest proposal. The
>proposed solution would be to add a RegistryObjectFilter with the above
>branches
>defined.

I agree that it may make sense to allow some AssociationBranch or
HasClassificationBranch elements on some classes other than RegistryEntry,
but that's a decision that can be made on a case-by-case basis.

I don't think FilterQuery has to support Association instances between
every type of class in RIM. For example, what would be the purpose of
Association instances between AuditableEvent and ExternalIdentifier, even
though technically they are representable in ebRIM?  If some important
associations do exist, then lets label them and make them part of the
ebRIM  specification. NOTE: FilterQuery does treat the important
association from Classification to Organization (i.e.
SubmittingOrganization) as an important association; each
HasClassificationBranch has a SubmittingOrganizationBranch as a
sub-element. This recognizes that Classification of a RegistryEntry can be
done by someone other than the SubmittingOrganization that owns that
RegistryEntry. E.g. the UserCarDealers association may classify electronic
parts in a completely different way than does the IEEE. Also note that the
two AssociationBranch elements do NOT have a SubmittingOrganizationBranch
as a sub-element; this is because at one point in the past I thought we all
agreed that all Association instances would be owned by the
SubmittingOrganization of the sourceObject (but this assumed rule is not
yet part of ebRIM).

>Please let the team know urgently what you think.

Unfortunately, I still think that ebRIM is seriously under-specified and is
lacking in discipline. It's too general in that it's possible to represent
things that don't have any basis in real world use cases, and some things
like submitting and responsible organizations are not fully specified. So
the Registry Services specification (ebRS), which is what implementors will
claim conformance to, has to make some decisions that were left too
general, or even unspecified, in ebRIM.

-- Len