regrep-query message

Subject: [regrep-query] Re: getPath proposal

Len,

Thanks for your excellent feedback. Attached is a revised proposal that address
all of your points except for 1 which is the schemeId issue. Reason is give
below.

Len Gallagher wrote:

> Query Team,
>
> Attached are some comments on the proposed getPath() method definition
> distributed to this Query team last Friday.
>
>    http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/regrep-query/200110/pdf00003.pdf
>
> It pains me to raise these issues, because I don't want to oppose this
> proposal, but some of these comments reflect serious unresolved issues:
>
> Line 31 - minor
> Shouldn't "Package" be "ClassificationNode"?

Thanks for catchingthis cut and paste error. It is fixed.

> Lines 38-40 - minor
> The reference to being similar to "file system paths" is not necessary and
> should probably be removed.

I liked it as it used a familiar analogy but I took it out as suggested.

> Lines 48-50 - Major
> The BNF grammar for "ID" is very restrictive. It only allows the use of 26
> letters of the alphabet (both uppercase and lowercase), underscore, and 10
> digits.  But an "ID" is supposed to represent the "code" attribute of a
> ClassificationNode and its data type is "ShortName", which is defined in
> ebRIM to be an arbitrary text string of up to 64 characters, presumably
> from the Unicode character set.  How do we represent "codes" that use
> characters other than the 63 characters provided?  And if we do allow
> arbitrary characters in the code attribute for ClassificationNode
> instances, how do we treat the special XPATH characters (e.g. "/" and "*").

This is a very valid comment. Note that I have made the nodeCode be any valid
string as defined by XML Schema spec.

> Lines 43 and 51 - Major
> The value of the schemeId element in the BNF production for canonicalPath
> is defined to be the value of the "id" attribute of the
> ClassificationScheme instance that describes the classification scheme with
> this node. Some of us believe that it will be impossible to enforce an
> assumption that this "id" will be the same for all Registry
> implementations. See the discussion and responses at URL:
>       http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/regrep-query/200109/msg00062.html
> Thus we will likely have getPath() representations that differ in the first
> element depending on which Registry it comes from! On top of this the value
> of "id" is a UUID (128 bits) that only a machine can process.

As stated in proposal "1. Issues dealing with multiple co-operating registries
are not considered. These issues are deferred to the Inter Registry Cooperation
(IRC) team.". I believe the proposal should not change in this area.

> Line 65 - minor
> Shouldn't the "Geography" reference be "Geography-id"?

Yes. Thanks. Changed

> Line 66 - minor
> Shouldn't the "NorthAmerica" reference be "NorthAmerica-id"?

Yes. Thanks. Changed

> Line 68 - minor
> Shouldn't the "Geography" reference be "Geography-id"?

Yes. Thanks. Changed

> Line 69 - minor
> Shouldn't the "Asia" reference be "Asia-id"?

Yes. Thanks. Changed

> Line 70 - minor
> Shouldn't the "Japan" reference be "Japan-id"?

Yes. Thanks. Changed

> I hope these issues can be resolved before we have to vote on this proposal.
>
> -- Len
>
> At 10:16 PM 10/5/01, Farrukh Najmi wrote:
> >Team,
> >
> >In todays con call I was asked to re-submit my original proposal for the
> >syntax of ClassificationNode getPath method and Path expression for
> >filter queries as two separate proposals. The original proposal may be
> >found at:
> >
> >  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/regrep-query/200109/msg00075.html
> >
> >A related comparison of path filters and other approached is at:
> >
> >http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/regrep-query/200109/msg00047.html
> >
> >Attached are both proposal for your consideration.
> >
> >--
> >Regards,
> >Farrukh

Regards,
Farrukh

getPathForRIM-Oct10-2001.pdf

begin:vcard
n:Najmi;Farrukh
tel;work:781-442-0703
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.sun.com
org:Sun Microsystems;Java Software
adr:;;1 Network Dr. MS BUR02-302;Burlington;MA;01803-0902;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:najmi@east.sun.com
fn:Farrukh Najmi
end:vcard