regrep-query message

Subject: RE: [regrep-query] XQuery, XPath and Content Based Query

Team,

With a classification-based query model being the basis of CBQ, I don't
think that we are even likely to use all of the features of Xpath, let
alone Xquery.  If you think about it, what is needed is a syntax for
defining an index and a syntax for querying against that index.  Let's
take for example indexing an XML document, or automatically classifying
it - I don't know how the group wants to refer to this.

Here is an instance:

<?type DOCUMENT?>
<Document>
	<Author rating="100">Dan Chang</Author>
	<Title>Regrep Query Requirements</Title>
	<Version>0.1</Version>
	<Abstract>This is Blah Blah Blah</Abstract>
	<Content><![CDATA[...]]></Content>
</Document>

We've decided that we only want to index author, author rating and
title, so:

--------
/Document/Author/text() -> Author
/Document/Author/@rating/text() -> Rating of author
/Document/Title/text() -> Title

So now, whenever the registry sees a document of type text/xml and a PI
type of DOCUMENT, we index it
As shown above.

Now...the content model of the index is Xpath compliant, and really very
simplistic.  We are indexing simple data, so realistically Xpath for
query is likely sufficient as long as we can do Xpath AND|NOT|OR Xpath.
If we want to use Xquery, we really should attempt to define a virtual
document object model for classifications, so that the Xqueries are made
against the classification's actual structure rather than the structure
of the structure holding the classifications.

Any of this make sense?

-Matt