regrep-raws message

Subject: Re: Proposal for supporting Service and ServiceBinding

Farrukh,

I agree with what Scott said in his note. I believe OASIS/ebXML Registry
should NOT be a business registry, duplicating the functionality of UDDI,
for reasons that Scott has pointed out. The industry does not need two
overlapping specifications.

If Sanjay's proposal is intended to facilitate the interoperability and
integration of OASOS/ebXML Registry with UDDI, that will be very fine. For
example, UDDI manages business definitions, business service interfaces and
technical bindings, but it does NOT manage any corresponding specification
documents. If Sanjay's proposal deals with these specification documents
but NOT business definitions, business service interfaces or technical
bindings, that will be very fine.

Regards,  Dan

Metadata Management Technology and Standard
IBM DBTI for e-Business
Notes:     Dan Chang/Santa Teresa/IBM@IBMUS
Internet:  dtchang@us.ibm.com
VM:          IBMUSM50(DTCHANG)
Phone:    (408)-463-2319

                    Farrukh Najmi
                    <Farrukh.Najmi       To:     Dan Chang/Santa Teresa/IBM@IBMUS
                    @Sun.COM>            cc:     "Patil, Sanjay" <SPatil@iona.com>, Scott
                                          Hinkelman/Austin/IBM@IBMUS,
                    09/04/01 04:43        "'regrep-raws@lists.oasis-open.org'"
                    PM                    <regrep-raws@lists.oasis-open.org>, Lisa Carnahan
                                          <lisa.carnahan@nist.gov>
                                         Subject:     Re: Proposal for supporting Service and
                                          ServiceBinding

Dan,

This work item was sanctioned early on when we discussed work items for
V2.0. We had discussed earlier in a
RAWS meeting that we will include this item in the RAWS team as it is
related to web services.

I do not believe that our progress should be hindered by what is going on
in UDDI. The UDDI team is
constantly making changes in each release that duplicates ebXMl
functionality. I cannot even discuss
specific instances as it is private to the UDDI AG. On the other hand every
thing in this TC is open for
duplication.

I feel that there is a string need for us to support the capabilities
outlined by Sanjay and they fit well
with focus on web services in this team. Please, lets focus on the merits
of the proposal instead.

Dan Chang wrote:

> Sanjay,
>
> I am concerned that in doing so we will explicitly overlap and repeat
what
> has been done in UDDI. I believe we ought to first resolve the issue on
> positioning OASIS/ebXML Registry with UDDI, as suggested by Scott.
>
> Regards,  Dan
>
> Metadata Management Technology and Standard
> IBM DBTI for e-Business
> Notes:     Dan Chang/Santa Teresa/IBM@IBMUS
> Internet:  dtchang@us.ibm.com
> VM:          IBMUSM50(DTCHANG)
> Phone:    (408)-463-2319
>

>                     "Patil,
>                     Sanjay"              To:
"'regrep-raws@lists.oasis-open.org'"
>                     <SPatil@iona.c
<regrep-raws@lists.oasis-open.org>
>                     om>                  cc:
>                                          Subject:     Proposal for
supporting Service and ServiceBinding

--
Regards,
Farrukh

#### najmi.vcf has been removed from this note on September 05 2001 by Dan
Chang