regrep-security message

Subject: RE: XML DSIG for authentication

Prasad,

You are absolutely right. This is a generic problem,
and needs to be solved generically. There are really
two solutions for this problem.

1. Challenge-response: RC challenges RO and vice versa.
(as Sekhar as described in detail). Note that the goal here
is to make sure that RO has the private key that it claims it has.
(btw, in Sekhar's solution, the call to RegistryService should
include a message *specified* by RC that RO needs to sign - may be
Sekhar implied this). The problem is,
as Sanjay has noted, the need for a session that allows
for challenge-response to take place at the beginning of the session.
We don't have the notion of a session with registry as noted by Krishna.

2. Transport level authentication: This solution defines the problem
away from messaging layer. From a practical point of view, this solution
will work, at least when SSL is used between RC and RO.

Team,

I propose that we revisit our earlier decision of "not depending"
on transport layer authentication and say that peer authentication
is assumed to be done by the transport layer (say, SSL). We can qualify
this assumption by saying that this decision may be revisited when
Registry transactions have the notion of a session.

Comments?

Regards,
-Suresh