regrep-security message

Subject: RE: XML DSIG for authentication

Suresh et al,

	If I am correct, we would also be using the authentication information to
resolve roles as well. It is not only a question of authC but also authZ. So
assuming a secure wire might not solve the problem. Unless of course we
should say that the APIs which would update/create/delete can be accesses
only thru https. Then how would we prevent somebody changing somebody else's
information ?

	As you know, UDDI's solution is to do authC and then return a session
token.

	Prasad, come to think of it, I am not sure that this is a message level
issue - for more than one reasons :

		1)	We cannot assume any particular msh, could be BEEP, ebXML, ...
		2)	There is no message level API which we (as in upper layers) can talk
to - for example to get the authentication assertion (to correlate the
userID with the registry userId) or even to find out if the user is
authenticated. I had raised this long time ago with the then ebXML TRP and
the reply was that they are working on an API layer.

	Am I rambling or are these genuine issues ?

cheers