regrep-security message

Subject: RE: Minutes: Security Subteam 10/01/01

>>What is the distinction between MIME type and Content-Type ? I have
>>found only one type i.e. Content-Type which has to be
>>multipart/Related.

The top Message level Content-Type header with "Multipart/Related"
value is what I was referring to as MIME type.
The content of each part in the Multipart message (whether the part
contains the content or signature) can then be identified by using
either a standard value for Content-Type  header, or some other
header (ex. RosettaNet uses Content-Location header) of that part.

An alternative for identifying the content of each part is to
have the spec to prescribe the order of payload content and
signature parts in the MIME message. Since we were going ahead with
mandating a signature for each message, this would work too.

These above options  are to meet the objective of low barrier
of entry as these options will work with a standard MIME software
(of course the XML Signature handling software will also be needed).

The option 3 is much cleaner as it uses the standard RFC 1847
Multipart/signed MIME type. However, it will require a
"Multipart/signed; protocol=application/xml-signature" aware software.
We are also assuming here that the "application/xml-signature"
or such type is registered and solutions are available for the same.

The above is what I understood in the discussion. If this
is incorrect, please treat it as Scribe's negligence and make
corrections.

thanks,
Sanjay Patil
IONA