Subject: [Q] Is there a need for Semantic Content Management Ontology

Farrukh,

Is there a need to describe an ontology to capture to capture
rationale/semantics of Semantic Content Management?

Zachary Alexander
The IT Investment Architect
ebTDesign LLC, (703) 283-4325
http://www.ebTDesign.com | http://www.p2pspeaker.com
http://www.p2peconomy.com | http://www.itinvestmentvehicle.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Farrukh Najmi [mailto:Farrukh.Najmi@Sun.COM]
Sent: Friday, January 16, 2004 12:00 PM
To: Zachary Alexander
Cc: regrep-semantic@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: Re: [regrep-semantic] Thoughts??? on Ontolog Invited Speaker
Presentation - Leo Obrst

Zachary Alexander wrote:

>IMHO: Here's my shot at what I got out of the presentation. The more I
>learn the bigger the problem gets.  I think that we just pulled down a
>woolly mammoth and now we figure out how to cook it.
>
>1.	The first time I heard the term "semantic content management", I
>thought that there was a general consensus what was meant the term
>content. I thought our sub-committee would have the opportunity to
>define the semantic methods for dealing with this content. Now, I think
>that we have to be concerned about what is meant by content. Is it a
>Taxonomy, Thesaurus, Conceptual Model etc. or something yet to be
>defined?

Content to me is any electronic file sitting on a computer. Semantic
content is along the
lines of the ontology continuum that Leo described (which was pretty
good description).

To me Semantic Content Management is about:

a) Publishing, life cycle management, discovery of  semantic content in
a secure, distributed collaborative environment. One task of the SCM SC
is to specify exactly which types of semantic content from Leo's
ontology continuum do include in RIM.

b) Using the semantic content in (a) as metadata to describe (and give
meaning to) arbitrary content and thus enabling discovery of arbitrary
content using  a richer ability to specify more precisely the content
that is being sought.

c) Relating arbitrary content using semantically clear relationships
using semantic content as metadata.

>2.	I did not get a good sense of what was needed for registry
>support. Have we identified all the natural constituents?

Yes I felt that while the talk was good it did not get into areas that
were of immediate value to us.
To mitigate this, in future we can invite subject experts to talk to a
specific SCM agenda that we craft.

--
Regards,
Farrukh