Subject: Re: [regrep-semantic] Will a Universal Data Element Framework [UDEF]Class of Applications fit within the ebXML Semantic Registry ?

One easy fit I see is the ability to use the UUID's for a data element
at run time to reference the actual data element in the registry using
the HTTP accessor string.

For instance, if you specified in the schema that each data element had
a FIXED attribute of "UUID" and the value is
"http://some_registry:PORT#?getRegistryObject=uid:foo"; , this will not
be present for fast parsing (non validating parsing will not present the
attribute in the final serialization).  If a validating parse is
performed, the UUID attribute will be present.

It would look like this.

<MyElement
UUID="http://registry.oasis-open.org/urlInterface/getRegistryObject?id=urn:uuid:29147919-0e12-6120-6279-647c3b7e3264";>instance
values</MyElement>

The retrieved object should be able to tell an application what the
metadata of the object is, in terms the application can understand,
including a way to serialize semantics.  This is an EXTREMELY complex
problem to solve.  Automated semantic inter operability will probably
escape mankind for the next decade, however I firmly believe this is the
right track.  The Registry object(s) returned must be able to convey the
semantics that are specific to a certain context of the data elements
use.  For instance,

//PO/BuyerParty/Name != PO/SellerParty/name

even  though they are both instance of the same the <Name> element.

(BTW - Try accessing the value of the UUID by clicking on it - it works.)

This is a first pass obvious tie in between ebXMLrr and UDEF.  I'm sure
there are many other things that will come to mind.

Duane

--
Senior Standards Strategist
Adobe Systems, Inc.